McDermitt – Nevada – The community, originally called Dugout, was named after Fort McDermit. It was named after Lt. Col. Charles McDermit, commander of the Military District of Nevada, who was killed by Indians in a skirmish in the area in 1865.
It is not known why there is a discrepancy in the spelling. Fort McDermit, which was five miles (8.0 km) outside the current township, was originally established to protect the stagecoach route from Virginia City through Winnemucca to Silver City, Idaho Territory. The stage road was the military’s most important transportation route in southeast Oregon. The township of Dugout was established as support for Fort McDermit.